Saturday 4 May 2013

Adam Liaw's Malaysian Beef Rendang

These last few weeks, I’ve been working on a project with Malaysian Kitchen – a global initiative of the Malaysian Government celebrating Malaysian cuisine around the world.
So to celebrate Malaysian food, firstly, I decided to cook my favourite Malaysian dish – beef rendang.
(Actually, it’s my husband’s favourite dish. I’m just a very good wife.)
I used the recipe from the Two Asian Kitchens Cookbook by Australian Masterchef Winner Adam Liaw.
And let me tell you, it was really simple. So simple that my 6 year old son helped me.
I followed the recipe exactly too!
Malaysian Beef Rendang, Recipe By Adam Liaw
These are just some of the ingredients in the recipe.
I even bought an actual, fresh coconut – to grate, roast and pound. Ha how authentic is that!
That vulgar looking root at the front is a turmeric root. I’ve never seen one before! It stained my chopping board!
I thought I’d have a problem finding all the ingredients, but to my delight, my local fruit and vegetable shop stocked everything.
Malaysian Beef Rendang, Recipe By Adam Liaw
I chopped and sliced everything up, while my 6 year old son threw it into a food processor.
Ok I admit working with a fresh coconut was a bit time consuming and overrated in the end. Adam suggests that using desiccated coconut is just as good. And I’ll be doing that next time.
Malaysian Beef Rendang, Recipe By Adam Liaw
Using the fresh ingredients was absolutely worth it. The smell was already incredible and we hadn’t even cooked anything yet.
We threw the processed stuff into a pot.
Added meat, coconut milk, lime leaves, lemongrass.
Slow cooked it for 2 hours.
Malaysian Beef Rendang, Recipe By Adam Liaw
And look at that!
Absolutely, mouth-wateringly brilliant.
Everyone knows that brown meat curry doesn’t look good when photographed, so I left the pieces of lime leaves mixed with the meat to add a bit of visual interest. YUMMMM!!!
We fed a dinner party of 6 people, and they were all very, very happy indeed. I felt like such a culinary rockstar :)
.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.
Adam Liaw’s Malaysian Beef Rendang
Serves 4-6
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: About 2 hours
Ingredients
1 tablespoon of oil
1kg of chuck steak, cut into 3cm cubes
3 stalks of lemongrass, white part only, bruised with a pestle
3 kaffir lime leaves shredded
2 teaspoons sugar
400 ml coconut cream
100g grated fresh coconut (or 130g desiccated coconut)
Base Paste
8 eschalots
6 red birds-eye chillies
6 garlic cloves
3cm piece of galangal (peeled and thickly sliced)
3cm of ginger (peeled and thickly sliced)
3cm of turmeric (peeled and thickly sliced)
2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1. Base paste – Put all the ingredients in a food processor (or mortar) and grind to a fairly smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry the paste, stirring often over medium heat for 5 minutes until fragrant.
3. Add beef, lemongrass, kaffir leaves and sugar and toss to coat in the paste.
4. Add coconut cream and 250mL of water and bring to low simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, then uncover and cook for 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, dry-fry the coconut in a frying pan until golden brown. Transfer to a mortar and grind to a paste.
6. Add the ground coconut and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve with hot jasmine rice (or coconut rice).
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment